Sunday, May 9, 2010

9th Meal MAYhem

So...I apologize for only having "finished" pictures for you. I've been really off my game this evening (having my phone mess up, ordering a new one and getting charged $50, and then having it start working again ruined my state of mind)

Tonight's Dinner Linguine Arrabbiata 


Ingredients

serves 4
  • coarse salt
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 3/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes, plus more for serving (optional)
  • 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes in juice, cut into chunks
  • 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 pound linguine
  • grated Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)

Directions

  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add garlic and red-pepper flakes; cook until garlic is fragrant and beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, and wine. Simmer over medium, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.
  3. Cook pasta in boiling salted water 2 minutes less than package instructions for al dente. Drain; add pasta to skillet. Cook, stirring, until pasta is tender, about 2 minutes. Season with salt. Serve, if desired, with Parmesan and red-pepper flakes.

My addition: CHICKEN! If using it raw you'll want to cook it FIRST (even before the water) and then chop it up and add it with the garlic and flakes. We cooked ours in the crockpot all day and just stripped the bones.

This is another "it takes as long as the pasta" meal. These are great. I start the water boiling and start making the rest of the meal and it all ends up done together. 
The basic ingredients. I used 2 cans of tomato sauce because Stefan isn't a tomato fan. (You'll see I do this a lot)

 This is the sauce in it's finished state. (with chicken added)

 Note: Obviously, if you want to cut the spicy you should cut the flakes you use. A little goes a LONG way so just experiment. When I first made it, the "called for" was a bit spicy for me. So, tonight I used 1/2 tsp instead...and couldn't taste it at all. It's up to you how much you use.

Dairy Free Readers: The cheese is totally optional. We've made it without twice now and the dish is fine.
Kosher Readers: Dani, correct me if I'm wrong, but this meal is fine right? :) I don't know all the rules! 

2 comments:

  1. Haha yes, but either with the cheese or the chicken, not both :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and im sorry about your phone - that sounds SO aggravating

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...