Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dinner Tonight: Fish Tacos

Tonight I went for a more elaborate dinner than usual ( by elaborate I mean several elements) and did Fish Tacos!


Elements:
Corn Tortilla
Veggie "medley"
Homemade Creole Mayonnaise
Red Rice
Fried Tilapia Strips


Recipes:
Corn Tortilla - Simple enough. I did sear them in a small pan with coconut oil (they had a funky texture otherwise).
Veggie "medley" - I chopped onion and yellow bell pepper and sauteed it in a pan until it was firm, but no longer crunchy. I then added frozen corn and cooked until the corn was hot. I added a few dashes of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder.
Homemade Creole Mayonnaise - Slightly adapted from Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions
 2 egg yolks at room temp
2 tblsp lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2/3 c extra virgin olive oil
Place all ingredients except olive oil into blender and blend thoroughly. Add olive oil slowly while constantly blending. Check for seasonings. You may want to add more lemon juice or salt. It will keep about 2 weeks in the fridge.
Red Rice - Cooked sort of per instructions (I messed up and did it covered like white rice...it turned out okay in the end)
Fried Tilapia Strips - I put them in a store bought spicy fish fry and let it sit for a few minutes (long enough for the oil to heat up) and then dredged them in egg/milk and flour with salt and garlic powder. I fried them in coconut oil until cooked through.

To Assemble:
Corn Tortilla
Spread Mayo
Spoon on some Veggies
Spoon on Rice
Lay Tilapia
You can add more Mayo if you want.

A few informative links:
Coconut Oil
Red Rice


3 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! The sauce makes the meal in my house and so Ive got to try this. We've been making a pretty delish tuna taco dinner but its a wallet killer- tuna is EXPENSIVE! I will be trying this recipe out for sure! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds so good... my hubby loves fish tacos. I may have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm popping over from Tasty Tuesday and this Fish Tacos recipe looks SO good! I've actually been wanting to try my hand at a recipe like this for a while now so this is perfect!

    xoxo
    Jenna
    http://jennafinch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...