Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A letter to my son


Dear Franklin,

It's just one more month before you turn 2. I can't believe you're 2 already! It seems like just recently I was able to hold you in my arms for hours, and now you won't sit for more than a few minutes. You're on the move constantly.


There are times when I find myself getting annoyed with your behavior. I have to remind myself that there are pluses to these things. The antics during your endless bouts of energy will always make me laugh. The fact that you run yourself so hard means that I can always (well, usually) count on having you collapse on me for a nap. Your stubborn nature will help you become a leader in whatever crowd you choose. Your strong emotions and empathetic nature will help you become a loving husband. And even though I have to say "no" when you try to help with your brother, I'm happy to think that someday you'll make a great dad.

I'm sorry that I can't give you the individualized attention you want right now. I'm sorry I find myself yelling way more often than I should. I hope that someday you'll look back and realize that I did the best I could. I hope that you'll cherish the memories of sitting on my lap and rocking down for a nap, of playing on the floor in our living room, and of cuddling in bed first thing in the morning. I know that these are a few of the many memories I will hold near and dear to my heart.


I'm afraid to blink and miss you growing up; but, at the same time, I'm also excited to see the wonderful man I know you will become. I pray for you and your brother daily. I know that God has a plan for you.

I love you with all of my heart. I had no idea that I could love someone so much. You are an amazing little boy. I can't believe I'm 2 years closer to you being an amazing man.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...