Thursday, April 7, 2011

Greek Yogurt!

The challenge was to introduce Greek Yogurt 4 times this week. I know the week isn't quite over yet, but I won't be able to participate over the weekend so I'm ending now. We only did it twice this week; however, my family is not new to Greek Yogurt.

Basically, Greek Yogurt is regular yogurt with the whey strained out. It's thicker than the regular stuff. You can buy "Greek Yogurt" or you can strain regular yogurt. The second option, I think, is cheaper.

We make our own yogurt and strain it. Here's what I did with it this week:


I made a spread/dip for the salmon patties. (Ignore the ugly salmon patty. It was a rush job) The dip was also a bit rushed. I did about a tablespoon of Greek Yogurt and added a squirt of Dijon, a small amount of lemon juice, and several spices (Garlic, dill, and Old Bay) I basically did it to taste. Separate I wasn't sure about the combination but I plunged onward and was pleasantly surprised!


Tonight's dinner was Tandoori Meatballs! I didn't have enough yogurt to put in the meatballs, just the marinade. However, this is one I'm willing to play with and report back!

Tandoori Marinade
4 large cloves of garlic minced
2 tablespoons fresh ginger root, chopped
2 teaspoons cumin seed
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons paprika
1 cup Plain Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt

Meatballs:
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 large onion, coarsely grated
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon bread crumbs
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup Plain Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°F. Add all ingredients of marinade to food processor. Blend for 1 minute. Set aside. Add all ingredients for meatballs in bowl. Form into bite size balls place on greased sheet pan. Makes about 50. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove meatballs from oven but do not turn oven off. Place in a deep serving dish. Cover with Tandoori Marinade. Cover and place in oven. Remove when warm about 20 minutes.




I'm really excited for next week!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...