Wednesday, September 14, 2011

It seems so simple...

My son is prone to meltdowns. If you've never experienced a meltdown just imagine a tantrum turned up a few notches.

He has trouble calming down. What we got into doing was handing him a bottle...instant calm. However, at 2.5 this isn't an option anymore. *sigh*

His therapists suggested having him BLOW when he needs to calm down. It's so simple but makes perfect sense...it combines deep breathing and focus.

While he was calm, I had him blow my fingers. We played with it and made it fun...shaking our heads as we blew and making noises.

So...the next time he got upset I let him have a moment of "upset time" and then put my hand out and said "Blow my fingers." AND HE DID!

Now, a few days after starting this technique, he'll ASK to "blow fingers" when he gets upset. He knows it helps him calm down! I've also started telling him that he can blow on his fingers as well...so he can calm down when Mommy and Daddy can't get there immediately.


That's my parenting advice for the day!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is so simple?

    My kids don't really have tantrums yet, but when Emma does get worked up I have her stop & do some deep breathing - she's older so that may be why simply saying "take a deep breath" works; however, I bet asking her to do something like this would get her mind off whatever upset her first b/c the focus is there. With the deep breathing exercise she isn't necessarily changing her focus from being mad.

    I'll have to remember that one - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so trying this! I have a 3 year old who is prone to tantrums and I have tried everything. Thanks for the tip. Glad it is working for you!
    I am new follower from Milk and Cuddles. Vicky @ www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...