Thursday, January 19, 2012

Emotional Hoarding?

There's a popular TV phenomenon right now...

Hoarding TV Shows.

As I lay in bed this morning God put on my heart that you can be a hoarder even if your home doesn't look like this:
Source
But what if EMOTIONALLY you're a hoarder?

The definition of hoarding is

Hoarding is the excessive collection of items, along with the inability to discard them. Hoarding often creates such cramped living conditions that homes may be filled to capacity, with only narrow pathways winding through stacks of clutter....People who hoard typically save items because they believe these items will be needed or have value in the future...Source

If you change "items" to "emotions" or "grudges" the above description reads like most people. We hold on to grudges and bad feelings and bad memories. We fill ourselves up with those things until we're so full of depression/anxiety/hate that we can't let anyone else in. We feel that we need to hold on to this garbage because if we don't we'll forget and get hurt again. The danger that comes with hoarding is two-fold: 1) The stacks of garbage will fall and crush the hoarder. 2) If the hoarder needs help no one (ie: emergency crews) will be able to get in and help.

If you're so full of emotional garbage you probably don't feel comfortable letting anyone, including God, inside. I remember telling my husband, then boyfriend, "I'm not good enough for God." I thought I needed to clean up my life before I could invite God in...definitely before I let anyone else in either.

So what do we do? On the show they get a therapist and professional cleaning crew to come in and help the hoarder deal with the mess. We have that in the way of the Holy Spirit. He's a helper (John 14:16 I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper to be with you forever), a therapist, and a cleaning crew. If you ask the Holy Spirit to help you clean up your emotional garbage He will be MORE than happy to help.

If you need help/advice on how to ask the Holy Spirit for help please email me or comment below (or come find me on Facebook!)

2 comments:

  1. Ok, awesomeness! Loved the post and soo true to the core! I am an emotional hoarder!!! Goodness, I need to clean emotional house and ive known that but this drew a picture that did not sit well in my spirit! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, awesomeness! Loved the post and soo true to the core! I am an emotional hoarder!!! Goodness, I need to clean emotional house and ive known that but this drew a picture that did not sit well in my spirit! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...