Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Things I Don't Quite Understand....

I've been watching Hulu these past weeks (online TV basically) and I've been reminded of why I don't usually watch TV...

Commercials.

Most of the time they make me shake my head, scoff, or grimace; but lately they've made me tilt my head in confusion or just get angry.

watch this video:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGsjb3NsFDY

It's for "Girls Inc." Girls Incorporated is a national nonprofit youth organization dedicated to inspiring all girls to be strong, smart, and bold. With roots dating to 1864, Girls Inc has provided vital educational programs to millions of American girls, particularly those in high-risk, underserved areas. Today, innovative programs help girls confront subtle societal messages about their value and potential, and prepare them to lead successful, independent, and fulfilling lives.

That's fine. I believe everyone should be strong, smart, and bold.

Did you catch that? EVERYONE. Where is Boys Inc? Where is the organization dedicated to helping boys lead successful, independent, and fulfilling lives? Why aren't boys encouraged to be strong, smart, or bold?

Oh yeah, thanks to feminism we've become a society that hates men. Not fair.



The other thing I don't understand:



One Laptop per child.

Mission Statement: To create educational opportunities for the world's poorest children by providing each child with a rugged, low-cost, low-power, connected laptop with content and software designed for collaborative, joyful, self-empowered learning. When children have access to this type of tool they get engaged in their own education. They learn, share, create, and collaborate. They become connected to each other, to the world and to a brighter future.


Again, fine. Let's help poor countries. I have no problem with that...

But can these children eat the laptops? Can their laptops purify water? Can the laptop provide adequate medical services if necessary? No? Really? How stupid. These people don't need freaking laptops. I've NEVER owned a laptop and I'm doing okay. I did, however, have food and clean water. Hmm. Which is more important?


This is a point that just frustrates me: http://www.mgmbill.org/pressrelease19.htm

There have been people that want Congress to make circumcision illegal for boys. (It's already illegal for girls) They don't want it covered in the health bill. Fine, don't get your son circumcised. It's your call as a parent. I've read information on both sides and still come up confused. Both sides have fairly decent arguments. What I don't understand is why are so many people getting up in arms to keep circumcision out but it was okay to keep abortion? As a person that believes that by the time a woman finds out she's pregnant life has begun (there are nerve endings and a heartbeat for crying out loud) I don't understand why it's okay to have the choice to kill an innocent human being but it's not okay to have the choice to make a cosmetic change to your child. This makes NO SENSE to me.


And with this post, I'll probably lose a fair bit of my readers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...