Wednesday, April 6, 2011

&%$#@!

Colossians 3:8 But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth. 

Obscene Talk: Greek word also means "shameful", "improper", or "sordid." 


Now that we've identified the Scripture in question...let's get to it.


Profanity. Cursing. Swear words. Potty talk. There are a lot of different ways to say it, and even more ways to use it!

This isn't going to be a blog contesting whether or not it's sinful...but rather a blog to look at it in a different way.

I'm going to look at another verse: Matthew 15:18 But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them.


How do I feel on the subject?
Well, I curse/swear/use bad words. I'm trying to get better about it because my son is starting to pick up words! I don't need him to bust out a "new word" in the middle of church or something! However, I use most swear words the same way that someone would use mundane words. To me, more often than not, these words are merely filler in a conversation. There is no emphasis. It's not meant to be rude. (Really!) I use the "f-word" the same way someone would use "stupid" or "THAT." (As in "the *stupid* car" or "*THAT* shoe")
What about using an alternative word? In my opinion, it's the same as cursing. If you use a "plain" filler word (like, "freaking" or even something silly like "balderdash") but IN YOUR HEART it's meant to be a "curse" then I consider it the same level of cursing. Some people will disagree here...but I think it's the intent that counts most of all.

Now, a dear friend of mine pointed out if you can choose to filter your language then why say them at all? She makes a good point. If, in the end, they are JUST WORDS then why not just stop saying them? A lot of people consider those of us that curse to be uneducated (or at least, say we sound that way) or just stupid. I'm a smart girl and a lot of people that I know that curse are educated people. We don't use profanity because we can't come up with another word...I can, and I know some big ones! I just choose to use profanity when it suits the occasion. 


Please, share your thoughts in the comments below! How do YOU feel about profanity? Remember to remain respectful.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...