Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Week in Clean(ish) Eating

This week I entered a challenge to eat "clean" for 5 days. The rules were simple:
- If you're watching your calories stay within your calorie goal (I wasn't so this was no issue)
- Limit processed foods
- Drink plenty of water

What defined a "clean" diet was up to the individual. I chose to keep my carbs low and eat minimally processed foods.

By Wednesday I had the mother of all headaches...and I just felt SICK. I was totally detoxing from all of the crap in my body.

I did okay on my eating. We ate out once in the five days (but it was a sandwich place not a burger joint...and I think I made decent choices)

I've been craving pizza (thin crust, sausage, mushroom, LARGE) and chips and dip. Ugh.


I'll confess. I don't like to eat healthy. Really. I enjoy the way it makes me feel and I KNOW it's the best decision. But if you ask me, honestly, which I prefer when presented with a slice of pizza or a bunch of steamed broccoli? I'll choose pizza 90% of the time. (There are times when I WANT that broccoli) Junk food just tastes good. Carbs make me feel happy...until I look at my waistline. It's a fact of life: Junk Food Is Addicting.


This week I'm going to keep a closer eye on what I'm eating and clue you in to some of the choices that I make. Like last night we had Chicken Quesadillas. Instead of just loading mine with chicken and cheese I took an extra 10mins to chop onion, mushroom, and spinach and saute them until soft. I seasoned them up nice and spicy and added THAT to my quesadilla. I used minimal cheese, less chicken than in my husband's, and cooked it all in raw butter.


What junk food meal would you like to see done more healthy?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...