Wednesday, April 6, 2011

&%$#@!

Colossians 3:8 But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth. 

Obscene Talk: Greek word also means "shameful", "improper", or "sordid." 


Now that we've identified the Scripture in question...let's get to it.


Profanity. Cursing. Swear words. Potty talk. There are a lot of different ways to say it, and even more ways to use it!

This isn't going to be a blog contesting whether or not it's sinful...but rather a blog to look at it in a different way.

I'm going to look at another verse: Matthew 15:18 But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them.


How do I feel on the subject?
Well, I curse/swear/use bad words. I'm trying to get better about it because my son is starting to pick up words! I don't need him to bust out a "new word" in the middle of church or something! However, I use most swear words the same way that someone would use mundane words. To me, more often than not, these words are merely filler in a conversation. There is no emphasis. It's not meant to be rude. (Really!) I use the "f-word" the same way someone would use "stupid" or "THAT." (As in "the *stupid* car" or "*THAT* shoe")
What about using an alternative word? In my opinion, it's the same as cursing. If you use a "plain" filler word (like, "freaking" or even something silly like "balderdash") but IN YOUR HEART it's meant to be a "curse" then I consider it the same level of cursing. Some people will disagree here...but I think it's the intent that counts most of all.

Now, a dear friend of mine pointed out if you can choose to filter your language then why say them at all? She makes a good point. If, in the end, they are JUST WORDS then why not just stop saying them? A lot of people consider those of us that curse to be uneducated (or at least, say we sound that way) or just stupid. I'm a smart girl and a lot of people that I know that curse are educated people. We don't use profanity because we can't come up with another word...I can, and I know some big ones! I just choose to use profanity when it suits the occasion. 


Please, share your thoughts in the comments below! How do YOU feel about profanity? Remember to remain respectful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...